Friday, September 30, 2011

Friday...Day 10

It is 11 p.m. in Africa. As I write this message I am cozy inside my mosquito net. This is our last night in the hotel as our driver will be taking us back to Nairobi tomorrow.  I am thankful for a bed but have to share a few humorous things regarding the hotel that I think you might enjoy. You will be thankful for all that you have. No
bathroom light. They have lights but the one in our room doesn`t work. Hmmmm....taking a shower has a whole new meaning at night.
No toilet seat...which is common. The faucet can do a 360 degree swivel but it still gives us water !  We have a small tv but no remote. You have to stand on the chair in order to reach it as it is up high. No hot water the first night but good news tonight...HOT water !  No shower enclosure. Just the shower head, 1 faucet...not a hot and cold. Amazing how well one can function with what is provided. We are all spoiled for sure !

This morning we headed out early for our safari. I was very excited ! As we entered the wilderness area the air was chilly. We are in the foothills of the mts. and can see the snow on top of Mt. Kenya. Our entire day was spent in the open top truck in order to view the animals at any given time. There was lots of African trees and brush for the animals to hide in and to rest in the shade. The grasslands were wide open and flat. You could see as far as the eye could see. The wart hogs greeted us first. Of course, we all thought of  the movie with the famous wart hog..They are funny to watch. We enjoyed the mothers with the small babies. They run like lightning !  Plenty of impala and gazelles....so pretty. A guide took us down to the river to find the hippos. We walked on a narrow path through the bush. quite the adventure as we stepped over the elephant dung. At one point the guide tells us..."this one was just left this morning ! "  Fun to know we are on the same path those big creatures decided to take earlier. Sabina asked the guide if he had a gun ??  He replies..." why do I need that ? " 

 My favorite animals were the family of elephants that crossed the road in front of the truck. They were sooo close. At one point the driver had to back up the vehicle. It is amazing how powerful they are when eating and pulling the grass and plants up from the ground. The baby was cute as it tagged along with the others. The other favorite was the giraffe. He could be spotted from a far distance and was happy munching away on the tops of trees.

Zebras, rhinos, baboons were just a few of the others we enjoyed. The lion was hiding from us as we hoped to see one. They were spotted in an area and we drove to that part later but could not see any. Our day was full of beauty for sure. We thanked God for allowing us to see so many animals in a short time.

The Equator crosses  over in this wilderness so I got to stand on the equator today !  How crazy is that ?

Always lots of sights to behold along our travel. Saw a white dead goat thrown over the back of a bike while 2 men chatted. Children walking home from school and always stare at our white faces. One little boy was in a group and as they all were looking, I waved to them. He threw me a kiss and I responded right back with one for him. I was walking away from him, I would turn back around and he would repeat the kiss. I would do the same. It was such a warm feeling ,like he was my own child that I was sending off. Little moments like this have stirred my heart in a great way ~

I am thankful for how God has hand picked this team of 4. Different personalities, coming together united, being used in mighty ways for Him. I have never been with women who fight over serving one another !! Nooooo..let me....noooooo..I will do it !!!!  What pure joy He has given us for this mission. I love my sisters and appreciate each gift and talent they bring. Truly it is a meshing of "threads of mercy. "

Be blessed,
   debi                                                                                                                                                

No comments:

Post a Comment